Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hurting Youth Workers


Back in January, Simply Youth Ministry published my article, Pushing Through.

The responses have been humbling, encouraging and at times, broken my heart. Andy let me know about the latest comment and I'm planning on writing a response later today.

If you haven't read the article, please do and leave a comment on how you would reply to this:

22 years and counting. You guys may be in YM ICU, but I might be in the burn unit! I'm tired of constant bickering of church members who would rather complain than help. It's been the same story for all these years, but now my 43 year old heart can't take it anymore. I think I know the answer to why long term YP's are not found often in church ministry...sniff the wind and smell the burn. Not only the burn out, but the burn that comes from people who'd rather stay annonymous but still willing to bash you through their annonymity. Am I speaking anyone else's language? I don't know if I'm willing to remain in church ministry...perhaps, probably...I guess. It is what the Lord gave me a passion for -- that is what hurts the most -- knowing God called me to this and wanting to stay...and then another bash from another annoymous source. Yeah, I know they say just consider you might be doing something right 'cause Satan is attacking you. I guess that holds some truth, but I don't know how much more I have in me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"In, not of."

That's my role with churches these days. Oh sure, I'm still doing youth ministry in local churches (just ask me about the youth meeting I was in last night!), but I'm not owned by any of the churches I'm working with.

And that's the thing. When a church "hires" you, they "own" you. Pure and simple.

Oh, and ask my friend Chris, who served the same church as the youth pastor for 22 (or so) years, just to be fired because he wasn't hip enough any more.