Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Lost Art of the Phone Call

Last night I was truly convicted over something. Something simple and something small but conviction, regardless.

We are going to a Newsboys concert in a week. It's on a Thursday night so I didn't anticipate a ton of students but hoped for a few. I made a few calls to students as a last minute chance to know who was going and make sure we had enough tickets.

So I around the fourth call I realized that one reason the calls felt so awkward was because I have not been making regular phone calls to students just to keep in touch. So I felt like a telemarketer rather than a pastor calling to check in with students and then giving some information they might be interersted in.

This morning I called a friend from the church. We get together occasionall with a few other guys and hang out. Hasn't happened in a while but I realized I shouldn't need an excuse to check in on someone. So I called him just asking the proverbial, "What's up?".

We talked for almost 30 minutes an he told me how grateful he was for the phone call more than once.

I think I've fallen into the trap of using easy technology to keep in touch and provide information to students rather than being in touch with students to provide a caring touch.

God's working on me.

1 comment:

tonymyles said...

Reach out and touch someone.